Saturday, April 6, 2013

My Dream Classroom

Our school recently received a donation from a community organization to use for the music program. With this extra money, I have been thinking about how I want to spend it and what my dream music room would look like. I made a master plan, so I can work on purchasing materials and instruments in a logical sequence.

I am fortunate to have a useful number of instruments (small percussion and Orff), but many of these instruments are old or slightly broken. My music education philosophy is a combination of Orff and Kodaly methods, so one of my priorities is to purchase more Orff focused resources. My class sizes are between 16-25 students. I don't mind if my students partner up, so my goal is to have around 15 instruments (I would prefer for students not to share glockenspiels).

Resources
1. Mallet Madness #1
2. Mallet Madness #2
3. DRUM method

Orff Instruments
1. 2 Bass Xylophones (I have 1 good one and 1 bad one).
2. 3 Glockenspiels (I have one).
3. 2 Metalophones (I have 1 good one).
4. 5 Soprano Xylophones (I have 3 good ones).
5. 3 Alto Xylophones (I have 1 good one).

Technology
-I currently use a desktop computer, large monitor and an iPad.
1. Reflector App (This was just installed on my computer and we love it!)

African Drums
-The school already has Remo Children's Drum when I came, so I am going to continue buying these. I teach K-4, so the smaller drums work well and I have limited storage space.


Recorders
1. Enough classroom recorders for all 3rd and 4th grade students (right now I am 3 recorders short of this goal).
2. Enough recorders for all 3rd and 4th grade students so each student can barrow and take one home. Right now students can buy one to take home, but not all students do. Lending recorders would eliminate the issue of not having a recorder a home. This would enable all my students to have the opportunity to practice at home.

Are there any books, resources or instruments you would recommend? What items are part of your dream classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment