Thursday, April 4, 2013

What it Takes to be Great

As an educator, I feel it is my duty to watch movies about education. I have by no means seen them all, but I have seen a lot of them. I have also read many books about different teachers.

As I reflect on these movies and books, I believe there is one common thread that is similar to all of these great teachers that are depicted in these movies/books. All of these great teachers have positive relationships with their students. These relationships are built on trust and respect and they create an atmosphere where students feel respected and safe. People will work very hard when they feel this way.

Successful schools are built on these positive relationships between students and teachers/staff. I have not heard of one school that is successful because of the technology, programs or curriculum they use. These are all contributing factors for success, but the most important one is relationships. Negative relationships make learning very difficult.

We need to focus on our relationships with our students and make it a goal to great a positive environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment