Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dance Unit

One of the teachers I worked with in Alaska always did a dance unit in January/February. I don't live in Alaska anymore, but I kept the idea. This is a perfect time of year to do extra movement in music. Especially with indoor recess and less break time because of the weather, it gives the kids an extra time to get some of their energy out. These are the dances I am doing with each grade. Next year I will adjust it a little, but I didn't want certain grades to miss out on certain dances, so the older grades are duplicating a lot of the dances the younger kids are doing. I will list specific folk dances once I figure that part out.

K- Chicken Dance & La Raspa
1st-Chicken Dance, Macarena & La Raspa
2nd-Chicken Dance, Macarena, Cupid Shuffle, Hand Jive and Great Big House. They also do a project where they create their own version of the Chicken Dance.
3rd-Chicken Dance, Macarena, Cupid Shuffle & Hand Jive. They are also doing a project where they create their own version of the Macarena.
4th-Chicken Dance, Macarena, Cupid Shuffle, Hand Jive and Electric Slide. They also do a project where they create their own version of the Cupid Shuffle or Electric Slide.

During this unit we talk about introductions, rhythm, steady beat and form. We figure out each for most of the dances.

No comments:

Post a Comment