Monday, July 22, 2013

Procedures

I recently had a Twitter conversation with a fellow music teacher about what to do during the first week of general music.  This conversation really make me stop and think about what I do during the first week and if what I have been doing in the past meets by goals.  During the first week I have two main goals: I want me students to get excited for a new year of music and I want to make sure my students clearly understand procedures.  There always comes a point during the school year where I wish my students would do something a certain way, so I am going to be even more deliberate about procedures this year.

Procedures That I Focus on the First Week
1.  How to enter/leave the music room.
2.  How to sit/seating charts.
3.  Hand signs (sit, stand and rest position.)
4.  Classroom expectations.
5.  Rules for playing instruments.
6.  Talking rules (sometimes I have them raise their hand and sometimes they can "shout" it out.)
7.  Handing out recorders and putting music folders away (3rd and 4th grades.)


What routines and procedures do you feel are the most important in your classroom?  How do you make sure your class starts off the new year in the right direction?


No comments:

Post a Comment