Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why I Teach...

During Teacher Appreciation Week I accepted a challenge on Twitter to write about why I teach in general.  I have previously written about why I teach music, but I think it is important to reflect and realize why I do the things I do.  Upon this reflection, I realized that I teach for many reasons.

1. Mrs. LaMont
-Mrs. LaMont was my band director during my junior and senior years of high school. She always encouraged me to go outside my comfort zone and to push myself as a musician. She used humor a lot and knew how to deal with my personality characteristics. I have never really like performing in front of people as a soloist (although I love playing music). As I prepared for contest, she would listen from her office or turn her chair away from me.  She was still able to help me without me getting super nervous. She was always willing to help and she would find someone to ask if there was a percussion concept I needed help with. 

2. Mr. Rosine 
-He was my band director during my freshman year of high school. During the summer I had moved from a town of 50,000 to one of 1,500. He was the first music teacher to tell me I was good at percussion. He is a person I grew to trust and while he lives down the street from my parents, he has often been a person I turn to for professional advise.

3. Coach Laura
-Coach Laura was my softball coach during 7/8 summer ball. I have always been exceptionally hard on myself. She pulled me aside during practice and talked to me about staying calm and the importance of not beating myself up mentally over mistakes. She helped me learn that making mistakes is alright and expected. 

4. Coach Clark
-She was my softball coach during my first three years of college. She is the coach who I try to mirror many of my coaching philosophies on. During my three years playing for her, I learned what real hard work looks like and the importance of perseverance. She cared about us as players and more importantly as people. I received a phone call/card on my birthday (as did every player), I received a graduation present/card and she sent flowers for my senior recital. 

My hope is to be a positive role model for my students. I have been blessed to have many positive influences and I feel it is my duty and responsibility to try to be the same positive influence for my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment