Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's the Final Countdown

This summer has been the first one since 2011 that I have not had to move, drive 3200 miles (Alaska to Wisconsin) or have any other huge life change (AKA marriage).  Without these big events,  I have been able to enjoy my time and use this summer as a time to recharge and have my passion for teaching rekindled.  As I sit down to type this, I have thirty days left of my summer break.  I am excited about all I have accomplished this summer and I look forward to doing even more in the next month.

Summer Goals
1.  Modern Lessons- Thru Twitter I discovered the website Modern Lessons.  It contains many free online classes on a variety of topics: social media, tools for teachers, technology and business tools.  I have completed one of the classes: A Must-Have Guide to Google In Education and I am currently working thru two other classes: How To Make A Professional Online Resume and Introduction to The iPad in Education.  I have found these classes to be very useful and full of helpful information that I can transfer to my classroom.
Final Goal- To finish three more lessons: The Beginner's Guide to YouTube, Integrating the iPad Into The Classroom and How To Make A Professional Online Resume.

2.  Google Apps Training Center-I decided against paying to take the tests, but I am still reading thru all of the test preparation material.  I work in a Google Apps District, so I have found the information to be helpful.  I thought I had a pretty good grasp on how to use Google Programs, but these training modules have helped me expand my understanding of the programs.  I have finished the Google Apps in Education and Gmail Modules and I am currently reading thru the Calendar Module.
Final Goal-Finish the last 4 modules: Calendar, Drive, Sites and Other Tools.

3.  Book A Day Challenge-As I have mentioned in other posts, I am a self-professed book worm, so this challenge just gave me justification for reading everyday.  Since May 22nd I have read 59 books.
Final Goal- Read 41 more books to reach 100 for the summer.

4.  Run Streak-I originally started this when it was the Runner's World Holiday Run Streak.  The goal was to run a minimum of one mile per a day between Memorial Day (May 27th) and Independence Day (July 4th).  One July 4th, I ran my 100th mile during the streak and decided I wanted to keep going until school starts in the middle of August.  I realize that for a real runner, 100 miles in 43 days is not that impressive, but for me, who has had a hard time sticking to running programs in the past, it has been a huge accomplishment.
Final Goal- Run 76 more miles to reach 200 miles for the summer.

5.  Spending Time with Family/Friends-Summer and time off are both great excuses to spend time with my family.  During the course of the school year, these relationships often play second fiddle to school/coaching commitments.  Hiking, biking, golfing, family vacations and weekend trips have filled my calendar this summer.  It has been a wonderful time!

What are your goals for the final weeks of summer vacation?  How to you rekindle your passion for teaching and the field of education.  Summer is a great reminder that we need to take care of ourselves so we can truly serve those around us.  Enjoy the rest of your 2013 Summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment