Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Great Things

As of Thursday, June 4th, I am officially done with my responsibilities as an AFC Teacher. This year has been overwhelming and challenging. Cutting positions and closing a school are never easy choices. I am going to miss my students (although I did remind them they can still come to my house for Trick-or-Treat) and I am going to miss many of my coworkers. Yes, there are people I may not miss as much, but the truth is there were some great things happening inside our buildings. This year, it has been easy to focus on the frustrations. The fact they cut the arts, the fact athletics seem to be more important and the feeling of not being appreciated, but upon reflection I have realized there were some great things happening and I am sure there are many more that I have forgotten. Thank you to the book 'The Fireproof Teacher' for making me reflect on the positives.

● Second graders made awesome roller coasters and recorded an amusement park video.
●  Fifth graders created artist videos using a green screen.
●  Our students read a lot of books!
●  Many of our Kindergarten students read above grade level.
●  Our students performed Crazy Train and Happy (along with other great pieces) for concerts.
●  Amazing student art work always fills our halls.
●  Fourth graders created a States Puzzle as they learned about each state.
●  Amazing field trips gave our students learning opportunities outside of their classrooms.
●  The school is field with amazing educators who truly care about their students.

Thank you to my students, coworkers and the community. It has been a wonderful three years and I am a better teacher now than I was when I first walked in.  Thank you for taking a chance on a Skype interview with a girl living in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment