Sunday, June 7, 2015

Autonomy

According to the Webster Dictionary; Autonomy is "the state of existing or acting separately from others. : the power or right of a country, group, etc., to govern itself."

I will be honest, I never really understood this word until recently when my husband explained it to me.  I remember being in interviews and making up answers because I didn't understand the word.  Now I get it and after reading 'Drive' and 'The Fireproof Teacher' I have a better understanding of myself and my desire for autonomy.

One of my first jobs was teaching in a district with three elementary music teachers and it was a huge challenge.  Not only was I a young teacher, I felt like I was always being compared to those teachers in my district.  I figured out quickly that I prefer a situation where I am the only elementary music teacher in the district.  I love learning from other teachers, but I prefer when I can do my own thing and not have group lessons.

One of my favorite school activities is setting up my classroom and creating bulletin boards.  I realized after reading both of these that this is in large part because of I have complete autonomy over when I work, how I work and where I work.  This is also why I enjoy teaching music as much as I do.  What I teach is not dictated to the degree that other subjects.

An important concept to remember is that not all people and not all teachers like autonomy? What side do you fall on?  I have realized that my stress level is significantly higher when I feel like I do not have autonomy over my career.  How do you help put yourself in autonomous situations?


No comments:

Post a Comment