Sunday, June 14, 2015

Growing a Reader

When I was in middle school, my baby sister was reading the Harry Potter series. I had limited interest in reading and I had ZERO interest in a book about wizards. I saw her reading these big books and I figured if she could do it, so could I. She is eight years younger than I am, I could not be outdone. During Christmas break I spent an enormous amount of time laying in a bed at my grandmother's house reading the first three books of the series. I was hooked! Not only was I hooked on these books, I was hooked on reading. I had officially caught the reading bug.

Sometimes all it takes is one book to turn kids into lifelong readers. Sometimes it takes years for this book to be found, but it can happen.
I am trying my best to help my daughter become a lover of books. We ready daily and we go to the library every 7-10 days. I hope and pray that she is able to find the same enjoyment from books as I do, for life is so much better while surrounded by books.

What book turned you into a reader? How do we encourage those around us to read even if they have not caught the bug yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment