Friday, April 11, 2014

Day 223: Weekly Reflection 4/11/14

Daily Blog Challenge Day 223/365

One of my third grade classes has been a struggle so far this semester.  I use Recorder Karate with my 4th graders and I decided to try giving "belts" to students in third grade who demonstrate mastery of certain skills.  I hate the idea of dangling a carrot for my students, but the whole class will actually participate if they think they can earn something.

In third grade we focus on the notes B, A and G and we start with a lot of simple rhythm exercises.  I keep a pile of string on my desk and students earn one "belt" once they show mastery of reading rhythms/playing them correctly on their recorder.  They are able to earn multiple belts of the same color (I picked bright colors that I don't use as Recorder Karate Belts.)

I am a strong believer in intrinsic motivation, but I find that some students need a balance of extrinsic before they can truly motivate themselves.

How do you help your students learn how to be internally motivated?  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment