Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Day 235: The Point of Varsity Sports...

Daily Blog Challenge Day 235/365

What is the point of varsity sports at the high school level?

11 games into this season, I am struggling greatly with this question. I have 16 girls on my team and I wish I could play all 16 at one time, but sadly the rules will not allow this. Lately, due to weather, we have been playing varsity double headers, so my junior varsity players are missing out on a few games (or having to wait until a later date to play). Next week we play everyday (JV and V) so I am not worried about people getting playing time. Tonight however, was our only games this week and due to weather the junior varsity games were cancelled.

I hate when all of my players don't get it, but the reality is some of them are not ready for the varsity level. Not only that, they rank what they do when they do get in a game. Playing in the field and hitting is better than just hitting which is better than just being a runner, so not only do I feel like I need to get all players in, I feel like I need to let them do the same thing. In softball that means planning way ahead and putting subs in right away (which is something I am still learning). I want everyone to play, but I have a hard time telling a starter they are not playing even though they are playing well, just so I can get another player in. Where do you draw the line?

Many of the varsity girls do not play during the junior varsity game (we make sure all the players who do not play varsity get in first), but yet it is expected that junior varsity players will play during varsity games. This is so far the most stressful part of being a Head Coach.

How do you balance being competitive and giving players a chance? Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment