Saturday, August 31, 2013

Instrument Family of the Quarter

When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher explained to me how he let his students try playing many band instruments when he taught elementary music.  He found this was a great way to expose students to band instruments and get them more excited about playing them in the future.  I always liked the basis of this idea and have used it in most of my classrooms.  Resources and time often play a role in the exact execution of the idea.

In my current position, I see my students for forty minutes, two times a week.  We study one instrument family per a quarter: Strings, Woodwinds, Brass and Percussion.  During our study, we listen to many examples of the instruments that belong to the specific family.  This year, I created a YouTube playlist for each family.  I included more upbeat music and some interesting ensembles.  The main goal is to get my students excited about different instruments.  The Piano Guys are one of their favorite groups, so we listen to many different examples by them.  Along with listening, I have my students play many of the instruments: guitar, flute, trumpet and drum set.  The goal of this is for my students to know what the instruments look like and to have a chance at playing them before they get to middle school band.

Listening-Strings

Listening-Woodwinds

Listening-Brass

Listening-Percussion

No comments:

Post a Comment