Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day 26: What If...

My Daily Blog Challenge: 26/365

It appears as though the honeymoon phase if over at my school (and from the sounds of it, it's over in many schools across the country.)  We are at the point were teachers are getting frustrated with misbehavior and I find myself at a loss on how to react and what to do in my classroom.  I am tired of neglecting the students who want to learn, so that I can focus on those few who choose to mess around or not pay attention.  Yesterday was a day of frustration, but it forced me to think about how I want the rest of the year to go.  I came up with a few ideas and I realize some of them (if not all of them) may not be good ideas.  There is clearly an issue in my classroom and I cannot continue on the current path.  I made a promise to myself at the beginning of the school year that I would not hold grades over students heads and I am trying very hard not to use grades as a punishment. I realize that it is often the "easy" way out.  As I ask my students, I am fixing my own problem.  Here are the possible solutions to my problem.  I find that through reflection, I find clarity.

1.  Build stronger relationships with my students.
2.  Give students the option to self teach.
3.  Allow students who do not want to participate the option to sit out (once they sit out, they are done for the rest of class and cannot join when they feel like it.)
4. Focus on students who want to be there.

Reflecting on yesterday has made me realize that my relationships with my students are not nearly as strong as they need to be.  Building relationships is hard work, but it is inside my control. Here is to a year of building relationships and learning with my students!

*Update:  I tried a few of these with my students the past two days and I have realized that students sometimes just need to be able to make a black and white choice, which requires them to know their options.  Sometimes what is very clear to me as a teacher, may not be clear to my students.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting that I also feel this week was the defining time for the end of the beginning of the year romance. Discipline, motivation, and behavior are getting in the way of learning. I heartily agree that change must begin with me, the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And with some kids, building relationships is no easy matter! I do agree with what you say, though, that relationships are key. It's so easy to fall into punitive patterns or patterns where the students who are misbehaving get the most attention. So much reflection and tweaking goes into good teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I would rather spend my energy building relationships than correcting misbehavior (like you said though, it's easy to fall into that cycle). Thank you for taking the time to read and comment Elisabeth.

      Delete