Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 16: Remembering a Friend

My 365 Blog Challenge: Day 16/365

I spent the summers when I was in college working at a dude ranch in Wisconsin. Even after I graduated I would go back and work when I was available. The summer of 2012 was my eighth and final summer there. I started on waitstaff and eventually moved to activities director. Over the course of my eight years I helped fill in in almost every position, which was fun for me and prevented boredom.

During my second summer Virginia became the new manager. She was old enough to be my grandmother, but our love of books started many conversations. For me it is hard to describe her as a friend (due to the age different), but she was a friend, a grandma figure and a mentor all rolled into one. We did not always see eye to eye, but we respected each other. During my eight years at the ranch our relationship transitioned from a boss/employee to "friends".

It was with great pride that in 2011 I was able to introduce Virginia to my now husband. After that meeting she gave me a big hug and told me she was so glad I met a great guy who treated me well and made me happy. She was excited when I told her we were engaged and was saddened that she could not make our wedding. All my of grandparents live in Minnesota, so in many ways, she filled in for my them.

Life is busy and so many things have gone unsaid, but the lessons are left behind. She taught me to be proud of your work (and that your work speaks volumes about your character), she reminded me how simple and important it is to listen/ give them your time and to let people know you care about them. In this life, relationships are what matter and I have been blessed to have had one with her.

Yesterday, September 19th, would have been her 73rd birthday. She passed away in May after a battle with cancer.

Happy Birthday Virginia! I love and miss you.



No comments:

Post a Comment