Sunday, October 8, 2017

Professional Google Account

I am currently in my ninth year of teaching and I have taught in 6 different districts (I currently work in two districts and I have relocated states three times.) I love Google tools and I have found them to be very useful during my career. It allows me to work without always having a stable home computer. I have also learned the hard way how time consuming it can be to change documents from one account to another. This is especially true when I have left a district and my account is deleted, so I am on a short time table to get things organized while also dealing with all the normal end of the year tasks.

I have made this mistake twice and I vowed I would never do it again.  This summer I encountered a different problem: my personal Google account was maxed to capacity. This year I found myself once again using my school Google account to organize my files because I did not have room in my personal account. As I brainstormed ways to fix this (I also have the issue of working in a school that is not a Google School this year, which presents is a new challenge), I came up with the idea of creating a new Professional Google account solely to organize my professional documents: pictures, videos, lesson plans and documents.

I was all set to create a new Google Account when I remembered that I still have my old Google Account that is under my maiden name.  I decided to use that account instead of creating a new one.  This account is going to be used solely for professional documents.  This way I do not need to worry about taking up space in my personal account for professional files. Also, I won't have to worry about transferring my files to another account if I were to leave my current school.

Eventually I want to have my blog, YouTube and all teaching files under the same account. It is going to take some time to make that all happen, but I think it will be very helpful to know where all of my teaching files and resources are located. 

How do you keep your files organized? 

No comments:

Post a Comment