Sunday, July 19, 2015

Mistakes

Using Web sources correctly has been a hot topic lately and I realized while following Twitter conversations that I have broken these rules on occasion. This reflection has caused me to feel stupid but has also taught me a lot.

It is acceptable to reference a book online and give credit to the author, but it is not acceptable to reference online material without permission.

All online material needs to include permission and credit unless it is public domain or a free source.
I think back on the short history of my blog and I know that I have made mistakes. I have published blogs too quickly without thoroughly checking them, I have published using my phone which changes the format (still not sure why this happens), I have referenced lists and blogs while thinking that giving credit was enough and I have used pictures without giving credit.
I didn't realize I was doing anything wrong. I thought I was covering my bases, but now that I am aware of these issues I am going to do my best to correct them.

Recently,  I have read tweets where people are very upset because a person is doing something they deem as wrong. The inferences I make is that they believe these people are wrong, stupid, terrible people (fill in the blank with your negative adjective.) I know I have made mistakes and they were because I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I was doing what was best.  Upon learning more and reflecting I have realized that I messed up. How often does this happen?

I choose to believe that teachers do not intentionally do wrong to a student.  Most of us do the best we can with the resources we have. Sometimes we look back with joy and other times embarrassment.

I challenge you to not feel anger towards another based on their tweets. The way they see a problem and how you see it may not line up. We need to take these opportunities to discuss with open minds and to learn from the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment