Monday, October 27, 2014

Lessons From Observation #1

Two weeks ago I had my first formal observation of the year. As a non tenured teacher (Illinois does not have tenure in the traditional sense but it impacts how often a teacher is observed). According to my district's evaluation tool, I was rated an excellent teacher. Some days I feel like I deserve this title and others (like today) I feel like anything but an excellent teacher.

Do you learn from your observations? I am a busy person and I hate feeling like my time is being wasted. I have decided to make myself learn from this experience (even though I want to feel like it is a waste of time.)

I was complimented for getting to my students level and correcting them individually. I realized I don't do this all of the time and I need to make more of an effort to jot take the "easy" way out.
I was complimented for being organized and using technology in a positive way. I know I am not always as organized as I could be and this was a reminder that I need to be.

Observations are a snap shot of me as a teacher. I need to remember this feelings and and use it when I relate to my students. A class, project or activity is only a snapshot of their achievement in my class. I need to make sure I do not let a small piece of data to define them.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment