Monday, February 12, 2018

Winter Olympics 2018 in Music

I incorporated the 2010 Winter Olympics into my music room by including Folk Dances from different counties. Now that the 2018 Winter Olympics are upon us, I am using ideas from that lesson plan and adjusting it to meet the current needs of my schedule and students.

While researching about the history of the Olympics, I learned that many believe that the five rings represent each continent (with North and South America being combined). I decided to align my activities to the rings. Students in Kindergarten through third grade will learn two dances or activities for each continent/ring.

Students in fourth and fifth grades are learning the Bugler's Dream (Olympic Theme Song) on Recorder and sixth, seventh and eighth graders are learning it on Piano. I found the music for Bugler's Dream on Pinterest.

I used the following website to organize these lessons. I adjusted a few of the movements to make them easier for the younger grades. A few of the countries are still a work in progress and I am still looking for activities to add.

North and South America: Red

Australia: Green


Africa: Black

Europe: Blue
Asia: Yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment