Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Expectations

The last few weeks I have found myself starting my morning off in a cranky mood because I kept feeling behind.  It took me a while to figure out why I was feeling this way.  I was expecting way too much from myself and getting mad when things did not work out the way I had planned.  I am a believer in high expectations, but expectations also need to be realistic.

My Mourning Plan
Get up at 5 am
Workout, read, shower, get myself ready for school, pickup around the house, do dishes, clean the kitchen, make breakfast, pack lunches and pack the diaper bag.

6:40 am
Wake up my daughter (if she is still sleeping:), get her dressed and ready to go and feed her breakfast.

7:00 am
Walk out the door to drop kiddo off at daycare on my way to school.

Now, maybe I am an underachiever, but after writing down this list I quickly realized why I was stressed out.  I was expecting way too much to happen in a very short amount of time.  These expectations left me constantly frustrated and rushed.  Once I realized the issue, I was able to create a better morning routine which has been helping me start my day more relaxed.

How often do we do this with our families and students.  We have crazy expectations and get mad when they do not achieve them.  Yes, we need to push them, but we also need to look at what we are asking of them and make sure it is logical.  We also need to make sure that those around us truly know what we expect of them.  We may think we have been clear, but sometimes we are not and it is vital that others clearly know what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment